Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Song Of The Day: "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" - The Civil Wars



It's December and as a devotee to all things Holiday I thought I'd roll out some of my favorite Christmas/Winter music throughout the month. Check back every day for tracks old, new, classic and unique. Happy Holidays!

Nearly every year I hear "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" and it strikes me anew how important the lyrics are. After Prop 8 passed in 2008, "hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, goodwill towards men" rang over and over in my head. When all those children were taken from us by a gunman in Sandy Hook, "there is no peace on earth, I said" was on a loop in the quiet moments of the season. 

In both instances, I'm reminded of the final verse: "Then pealed the bells more loud and deep/'God is not dead/nor doth He sleep/The Wrong shall fail/The Right prevail/With peace on earth, good-will to men'" Whether you believe that God is not dead or if you believe peace is a human construct - the truth is that wrong shall fail. I believe that most of all.

Peace on earth. Goodwill towards all. That's the true meaning of Christmas.


Further Listening: versions by Pedro The Lion, Sarah McLachlan and The Carpenters.

No comments: