Monday, July 11, 2011

"He's Got The Whole World In His Pants"

Have you ever had a boneheaded moment when you realized that you have been singing the wrong words for years? Not just substituting "loaded gun complex" for "loaded God complex" in "Sugar, We're Going Down" or scrambling "Bohemian Rhapsody" but mis-singing the title of a popular song, over and over again?

As a kid, I had a book of these lyrical gaffes and we LOL'd over them frequently. "Hold my clothes and tie me down sir" instead of "Hold me closer, tiny dancer"? Silly human ears. Of course, "'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" is now a website (interwebs is the new books, kids!) for you to browse other people's mistakes.

I was please to find out that I was not the only one mistaking the chorus of Til Tuesday's one hit "Voices Carry" to be "hush, hush/Even downtown was so scary"

However, it seems I am alone in thinking Prince wasn't singing about a "Little Red Corvette" but a "Mir-a-cle Man." As a child, I assume it was a Jesus song.

So, what lyrics have you goofed on?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" came out and how I had the lyrics COMPLETELY wrong. "To me you're like a growing addition I can try, now won't you tell me it's unhappy baby..." that is not correct.

Also, I'm convinced that Mandy Moore is singing "nothing but panties in my pocket" in "In My Pocket" which was my anthem for like 3 weeks when it came out...

C. Paul Keller said...

Seal's voice is absolutely lovely, but he's clearly not a fan of enunciation! I had no clue what half the lyrics to "Crazy" were. Thank goodness for Google!