Saturday, December 14, 2013

Christmas Song Of The Day: "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" - The Pointer Sisters



It's December and as a devotee to all things Holiday I thought I'd roll out some of my favorite Christmas/Winter music throughout the month. Check back every day for tracks old, new, classic and unique. Happy Holidays!

My mom had a cassette from Avon called The Stars Of Christmas that we listened to very frequently when we were kids. I believe it had some Judy Collins and Elvis on it, but the song I remember best was The Pointer Sisters' version of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town."

Now, I can't recall ever believing in Santa as a kid. I don't know if it was explicitly stated to me that he was not real or if I figured it out but my three younger sisters and I called him (like my mother's family before us) "The Old Fraud" by the time I was ten. We didn't mind, he was just another symbol of the holiday spirit of giving. 

I recall a large wooden figure of Santa Claus that we hung every year. It was probably about eighteen inches tall and made of thin, painted plywood. One year we hung him on the inside of the back door, over a calendar towel that had been hanging all year. The towel had a country scene and scripture verse printed on it that was mostly obscured by The Old Fraud's girthy figure. The only part that showed was the scripture, like a caption under the man with the bag: "Be still and know that I am God." We thought it was funny. The people in my parent's Bible study were less amused.


No comments: