Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas Song Of The Day: "Jeanette, Isabella" - Tori Amos



It's December and as a devotee to all things Holiday I thought I'd roll out some of my favorite Christmas/Winter music throughout the month. Check back every day for tracks old, new, classic and unique. Happy Holidays!


I've never been a Tori Amos fan, per se. I love female singer/songwriters, especially ones with unique voices, so it's a weird blind spot on my part. I'm not sure what I expected from a holiday album from her, but "Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isebella" is one of those carols that don't get much play and I was excited to see it brought out to play.

"Jeanette, Isabella" is a variation on the French carol about two young girls sent to see the Christ child, with some new lyrics. It's a baroque fantasy in this live incarnation and an unusual addition to the Christmas canon. I've been tempted to pick up the full album, Midwinter Graces, ever since I've heard this track but never seem to have the budget for it.


Further Listening: a traditional version by Callie & Colette.

No comments: