Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas Song Of The Day: "Merry Christmas, Darling" - The Carpenters



It's December and as a devotee to all things Holiday I thought I'd roll out some of my favorite Christmas/Winter music throughout the month. Check back every day for tracks old, new, classic and unique. Happy Holidays!

Some holidays are spent separate from someone special for a variety of reasons. Separation can cast a bittersweet shadow over one's celebrations, making it hard to throw oneself fully into the spirit of the season. Especially if you are parted permanently but even if it's just for that day or weekend, you feel a tug from another place.

Karen Carpenter's voice is a rare gift. She had a way of imparting the sadness behind a lyric and no one else can sing her brother's composition "Merry Christmas, Darling" with such emotion. The Christmases I've spent away from Derek always feel exactly the way this song does. Even though I was with my family, a piece of my heart was not.


Further Listening: versions by Christina Perri and Glee's Lea Michele (both decent, neither quite as haunting as Karen's.)

No comments: