Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas Song Of The Day: "One Silent Night" - Jaci Velasquez ft. The Katinas & Burlap To Cashmere

It's December and as a devotee to all things Holiday I thought I'd roll out some of my favorite Christmas/Winter music throughout the month. Check back every day for tracks old, new, classic and unique. Happy Holidays!

Back in the late '90s, I was a teenager in conservative central Pennsylvania. Attending a non-denominational evangelical church with a thriving youth group meant lots and lots of Contemporary Christian Music was played. No Spice Girls, only Point Of Grace. No Backstreet Boys, only Plus One. No TLC, only Out Of Eden.

From that parallel universe came a CCM variation on teen pop and few teen stars rivaled the appeal of Jaci Velasquez. A latina star who would crossover into Latin Pop in the next decade, Jaci was the wholesome alternative to the Mariah Careys and Shakiras of secular music and the lead single from her sophomore album was based on the famous bible verse John 3:16. "God So Loved."

That song was mashed with the classic Christmas Carol, "Silent Night," for a one-off holiday single with Somoan boy band The Katinas and Greek-inspired pop/rock outfit Burlap to Cashmere. (So international!) It showed up on the holiday soundtrack for TV's Touched By An Angel but not on Jaci's or The Katinas' holiday albums.

Anyway, the song is dramatic and beautiful and special part of my Christmas history:


2 comments:

Aunt Laura said...

Can't believe I missed this one. This is one definitely a special one to me too. I also never knew the The Katinas and Burlap to Cashmere were on this song with her.

Chuck said...

I heard this song many years ago and was very touched by it. It popped up in my mind this year and after some Google searches, I found it on Amazon. I bought it right away and have been enjoying it since, whay a blessing.