Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas Song Of The Day: "Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Carrie Underwood



It's December and as a devotee to all things Holiday I thought I'd roll out some of my favorite Christmas/Winter music throughout the month. Check back every day for tracks old, new, classic and unique. Happy Holidays!

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" is one of those songs with a back story almost more interesting than itself. The song was written in the '60s by a husband/wife songwriting team as an emotional plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Lyricist Gloria Shayne Baker saw mothers pushing strollers in New York City and thought of the lyrics "pray for peace, people everywhere" in that moment.

Like the abolitionist message of "O Holy Night" before it, the political side of "Do You Hear What I Hear?" has been nearly lost to history. But not quite yet...

Further Listening: Versions by Whitney Houston, Vanessa Williams and Flyleaf.

No comments: