Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Review: "New Moon: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack"


I'm not really a "Twihard", but I've read the first two Twilight books, saw the first film and bought the soundtrack. Also, I drool a little over R.Pattz, but what self-respecting gay man doesn't? I do want to see New Moon, and I thought I should check out the soundtrack.

Looking over the artists who contributed all-new material and mixes, it seems a lot more indie-rock than the more emo-slathered soundtrack from Twilight. Should be totally too cool for school, right? The Killers, Death Cab For Cutie, Lykke Li, St Vincent, Grizzly Bear - all have gotten heavy plays at Pics & Convos headquarters and much love in the year-end lists. I should be kvelling.

But I'm not. I'm guessing the producers were going for atmospheric heartbreak, but the sameness from track to track is sleep-inducing. I had to check the tracklist constantly to see which song I was listening to, unless they featured the distinctive vocals of Lykke Li or The Killers' Brandon Flowers. The slow, plodding pace of the songs don't exactly give me high hopes for the film, making this album fail as a marketing piece as well as a musical statement.

This doesn't mean none of the songs are good. Anya Marina's "Satellite Heart" is very pretty, in fact I kinda love it's simple, folksy beauty. The New Moon Remix of Muse's "I Belong To You" is very cool, very seventies glam rock. And lead single "Meet Me On The Equinox" from indie gods Death Cab For Cutie is a decent pop song with a somewhat catchy chorus. But most of these songs are instantly forgettable, if you even stay awake long enough to hear them. But you should try to keep sleep at bay, the disc ends with a movement from Alexandre Desplat's haunting score. "New Moon (The Meadow)" is starkly piano-driven and simply gorgeous. Perhaps a disc of the just the score would have been a better investment.

No comments: