Monday, September 13, 2010

VH1's "100 Greatest Artist Of All Time" - Really?

I love lists. I love arguing over them, I love reading them, I love making them. I love lists.

So when I heard that VH1 would be counting down the 100 Greatest Artists Of All Time, as voted on by over 200 artists, I got excited. I knew The Beatles would be number one, because Boomers have been wacking off over them for so long that I think little babies are currently being born knowing the words to "Let It Be" and thinking they mean something important. I thought MJ might sneak ahead, but since only rock bands matter in this world, I shoulda known I'd be wrong.

But the list, which you can read in it's entirety here, pisses me off. Why? Cuz I like being pissed off. As usual, men make up the bulk of the list. Only 14 of the artists are female solo artists or have female leads.

Also, only one country artist (Johnny Cash) and one jazz musician (Ray Charles) made the list. And these men both crossed over into rock in major ways.

So who is missing? For starters, Dolly Parton, a songwriter and guitar player with a beautiful voice and major star power. Songs like "Jolene" and "Down From Dover" are some of the most powerful pieces of music I've ever heard. And while we're talking country, Loretta Lynn, Reba McEntire and Hank Williams could have replaced Van Morrison, Pearl Jam and Peter Gabriel on the list.

Moving past country, The Pretenders are the only band holding it down for the female rockers. Where are The Go-Go's or Pat Benatar? Or BLONDIE? For fuck's sake, they did everything The Police did AND had a disco hit!

And let's talk classic artists of the pre-rock era. Billie Holiday? Frank Sinatra? Judy Garland? really, these people mean nothing? What about Nina Simone? Did everyone miss "Mississippi Goddam"?

I must say, a few people did surprise me in a good way. ABBA making on was a delight. I really think they are greatly underrated. Listening to their full albums leave the listener a glimpse into a weird world of pop songs refracted through many genres throughout the world. And Justin Timberlake has a lot more up his sleeve than people see. Mary J. Blige is a gift as well.

I think what it comes down to is that musical appreciation is subjective. And what I love others may hate, and vice versa. I just hate the fact that men get the praise for doing the same thing over and over while women are presented as just sex objects with little talent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The moment I saw Coldplay on the list I knew it was bunk. Plus, The Beach Boys and Mariah Carey should move up on the list and Ray Charles should really be #2, and am I crazy or did I not see Smokey Robinson at all!? But they make these lists for people to fight over so I'll stop...

C. Paul Keller said...

No Smokey and no Lionel Ritchie, either! And Mariah should rank higher than Whitney and Aretha since she does have a hand in writing and producing her own stuff. Isn't that part of being an artist?