Sunday, February 12, 2012

R.I.P. Whitney Houston 1963-2012

I was never the biggest fan of Whitney Houston, but even a casual radio listen cannot escape the plethora of musical offerings the daughter of gospel music legend Cissy Houston has brought to the world.

A one-time model, Ms. Houston was married and divorced to R&B star Bobby Brown and leaves behind a teenage daughter. She is a legend who crossed over from pop to gospel to r&b to club. These are my favorite Whitney tracks:
I Wanna Dance With Somebody - a great track for dancing to in the privacy of your bedroom, with or without a hairbrush mic.

How Will I Know - ditto

I Will Always Love You - whether you prefer this version or Dolly's original, one of the most beautiful breakup songs in history

When You Believe (duet with Mariah Carey) - One of the greatest inspirational songs of the 90s, from the gorgeous Prince Of Egypt film (I owned the cassette single at one point)
It's Not Right, But It's Ok (Thunderpuss Remix) - the whole reason I bought the Fired Up 2 compilation. Gay club music at it's finest.

Million Dollar Bill - should have been a much bigger comeback single, written by Alicia Keys and sung with that early Whitney sound ala I Wanna Dance or So Emotional.
What is your favorite Whitney Houston song, or film appearance. (I personally have a soft spot for Rodger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella)

No comments: