Monday, October 26, 2009

Why You Need To Visit Owl City And Gather Some "Fireflies"

When I first heard Owl City's bubbly single "Fireflies" on my local radio station a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if I liked it. The electronic sound is so sweet and cuddly, the lyrics so random and adorable it almost seems too cute for it's own good.

But the more I heard it, the more I liked the fact that it was so unique, so fresh and different from the sounds I'd been hearing on the radio. That's what I want from a radio station - a mix of new stuff I haven't heard before, not seventeen clones of the same slutty pop star and 12 versions of the same rap brag over an electro beat I've heard twenty times before. Literally, I have never heard music quite like this, electronic yet restrained. It sounds like the soundtrack to a dream, which is strange since Owl City's Adam Young suffers from insomnia.

I love the strings, the bubbly beat, the fact that a song called "Fireflies" is actually about fireflies. Oh, and Matthew Thiessen from my favorite band Relient K adds some vocals. It's a ridiculous pop song, but so new and amazing. I never want to stop hearing it. Listen:



I just downloaded the full album, expect a full review. Can the one-man electro band hold up this level of strange quality for 14 tracks? We'll see.

No comments: