Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Soundtrack Of The Day: "Can't Live A Day (DJ Tiesto Mix)" - Avalon

As a spiritually minded teenager, completely ignorant of my sexuality and the stereotypes that come with it, I loved dance music. Old school disco, beat heavy hip-hop and contemporary techno was the thing for me. Did you know that Christian music has two of those categories covered? Few realize just how easily a good little Christian boy could bug out to some four-on-the-floor jams and still praise Jesus.

The bulk of the Christian techno I listened to has aged as badly as the rest of the turn of the millennium techno, but I still jam out to boy-girl-boy-girl vocal quartet Avalon's remix album O2: Oxygen Remixed. There was a minute in 2002 when every major Christian band was putting out remix discs. ZoeGirl, Newsboys, Racheal Lampa and the Gotee label all had remix albums with some really strong remixes, and I bought that shiz up on the daily.

But Avalon's was the best, every song on there was a triumph. I especially loved the ambient techno of "Testify To Love" and the swaggeriffic Out Of Eden collabo "Make It Last Forever" but "Can't Live A Day" was the perfect blend of pre-mainstream fame Tiesto and powerhouse vocals of Janna Long. Take a journey back to when techno was for the clubs and little gay boy's bedrooms.

No comments: