Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Battle Of The Red One Protogees: Lady Gaga Covers Heidi Montag

The fact I know who Heidi Montag is, let alone what her music sounds like, I blame on my inability to stop read Best Week Ever and watching E! News. The fact that I actually like "Fashion" and "Overdosin'" I blame on Junior. And my inability to hate on a disco beat and a catchy hook.

Well, the real blame for those beats and hooks are producer Red One (which explains the breathy "Red One!" at the beginning of Heidi's "Fashion") who also produced the throbbing beats of Lady Gaga's hit single "Just Dance." Apparently he (she? they?) doesn't care which tarty blond sings his shit, so Lady Gaga gets to release "Fashion" as a single, from the soundtrack to Confessions Of A Shopaholic.

Thing is, there is exactly one difference between the two versions. At the beginning of the Gaga's version, there is no "hey!" or "Red One." That's it. Same beat, same echo-y chorus, same song. Is it weird I like Heidi's better?

But who ever's vocoded vocals are on it, the song is a a delightfully silly romp. I pranced through my apartment like a supermodel, shaking my shoulders and moaning about the need for new stilettos. The fact my bedheaded self was still in my cowboy patterned PJ pants, old Napoleon Dynamite t-shirt and pair of lime green Quarks didn't stop me from thinking I was too fabulous. A girl is just as hot as the shoes she choose...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so intriguing. I think this may be the first case of someone's actual singing ability ruining a song. I think the problem with LG's version is that the song requires a goofy, bubblegum sound because it's all so completely ridiculous!

To sing it straight sort to speak loses a definable bounce to the song that HM's version has in spades. LG's version sound muddy and warbley, plus without the "RedOne... Heidi!" at the beginning, I lose all interest.

(p.s. I'm pretty sure, but I think RedOne is one guy. Don't quote me.)

C. Paul Keller said...

Yeah, I checked the Wikipedia after writing it and discovered it's one dude. I liked the prose of "he (she? they?)" so I left it as is.

And yeah, Heidi just does a better airheaded song. Who knew her "talent" would come in handy?