Monday, February 2, 2009

Private Message To Lils From Paulbos: "Yes, I Will Be Your Gay"

I just posted my excitement over the new Lily Allen album, It's Not Me, It's You. I've adored lead single "The Fear" and the Bush-bashing "Fuck You" (even though I voted for him!) and the smattering of other leaked songs. But I just heard a new one, a track not listed on Amazon's current page for the album. It's a bonus track from the Japanese pressing of the new album, the song is called "Fag Hag" and I'm loving it!

First, let's discuss the elephant in the room. Is it OK to use the word 'fag'? I don't mind the word, it's no more derogatory to me than calling me a 'gay' or a 'homo' or 'fruity' (I draw the line at 'cocksucker' because it just sounds tacky) but I don't know that my opinion is typical of average gay men. My problem is when someone calls me gay or fag and mean it as an insult. As if to equate fags with dirty or evil people. And you can do that when very politely referring to us a 'homosexual men' or an equally polite word.

But the thing is, 'fag hag' is a cutesy phrase and I don't know of another common expression that adequately describes the unique relationship between a gay man and his female friends. We can't be 'girlfriends' cause only one of us is a girl, and the relationship is different anyway. Girlfriends can fight over boys, but it's rare that I would have a chance at stealing my hags' men and vice versa. I have a lot of female friends who love going shopping with me and 'boy scouting' (as my hag Shannan would say.) I guess you could say we're BFFs, but I have too many to have them all be besties. If they don't mind being called 'hags' I don't mind being called 'fag.' I would totally want Lily as one of my fag hags, I would totally love to be her gay. She's catty, she has great fashion sense and would be a ball of fun.

The song is a frothy bit of pop, with a catchy chorus and an shimmery electro sound. The lyrics describe a stereotypical fag/hag relationship, with the shopping for furniture and the reading of the travel section and the general silliness of that friendship. Listen



Fag Hag - Lily Allen

No comments: