Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle, Vol. 13

This is the thirteenth installment of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Love Needs A Holiday" - Reba McEntire Reba #1's
One of the new tracks on Reba's double disc hits collection, "Love Needs A Holiday" tells of a couple who do what they can to keep love alive, like taking a vacation. I bought this CD for Rachel for Christmas a couple years ago. She loves Reba, even though she's a pretty hard core rock fan. But, really, how can you hate on a legendary redhead like her?

"High Of 75" - Relient K Mmhmm
This is an album track from the Canton, Ohio band's mainstream breakthrough, Mmhmm. Really catchy pop-punk, like most of this band's output. I love them!

"XR2" - M.I.A. Kala
I love the Baltimore club beat on this track, and the line "some people think we're stupid, but we're not" cracks me up. Not the best track from my favorite album of last year, but seriously cool anyway.

"B-A-B-Y" - Carla Thomas Something To Believe In
This soulful love song is from a CD I bought at a thrift store about six years ago, a compilation of African-American music with African art in the liner notes. The CD introduced me to the brilliant work of Nina Simone, and also includes great songs from Curtis Mayfield, Erma Franklin and Billie Holiday.

"Love Is A Battlefield" - Pat Benatar Greatest Hits
One of the best songs of the eighties, from one of the best rock vocalists ever. You can't hear this song without wanting to dance and sing into a hairbrush. That chorus! That vocal range! Those fierce shoulder shakes in the video! Clearly a classic.

No comments: