Monday, June 16, 2008

5 10 Songs on Shuffle - Volume 14/15

This is the fourteenth & fifteenth installments of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play. Since I didn't post last week I'm doing a double post this week, called Five Ten Songs On Shuffle.

"A Deeper Love" - Aretha Franklin Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit Soundtrack
This is actually my favorite movie of all time, mostly due to Lauryn Hill's amazing version of "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" and the stupid/funny opening Vegas number. This song is a dance track which was produced by '90s superproducers C & C Music Factory. It's fun to dance to, but nothing more than that.

"She's Not Me" - Madonna Hard Candy
This is the longest track of the new Madonna album, produced by the Neptunes and featuring funky basswork from Prince protege Wendy Melvoin. It's a funktified disco track about a girl who tries inmitate Madge while stealing her man. Perfect for a rollerdisco!

"A Foggy Day" - Sandi Patty Together
I borrowed this album from the library when I was 19, and learned the glories of the Gershwin brothers masterful creations. Gospel superstar's Sandi Patty and Kathy Trocolli performed standards on the disc, Patty did mostly compsitions by the Gershwin's and Trocolli did songs performed by Judy Garland as well as a few duets and original jazz songs. While my favorite Ira Gershwin lyrics are from "The Man I Love" I do enjoy this one to. It's makes me want to move to London even more than I usually do.

"Smell Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana Nevermind
One of the most iconic tracks from the most iconic album by the iconic grunge band. I may be a pop fan through and through, but who can deny the power and emotion behind the vocals, despite the fact the lyrics make no sense, and the title was an insult about smelling like chick deoderant. The guitars and drums and vocals combine on a serious pop record dressed in grungy flannel. Seriously, if Kelly Rowland loves it, why can't I?

"No" - Shakira Fijicion Oral Vol. One
The English language Volume Two may have yeilded the monster hit "Hips Don't Lie" but on this disc one finds pop tracks worth hearing like the original Spanish version of the minor hit "Don't Bother" and this gorgous acoustic ballad. I have no idea what Shakira is saying on the follow up single to "La Tortura" but her vocals convey enough emotion and power to let you know something painful is happening. I really love this song.

"Must Have Done Something Right" - Relient K Five Score And Seven Years Ago
The first single from the latest studio album by the Ohio natives, it's not one of my favorites from the album. It's a little cheesy, but with a catchy Sound Of Music-quoting chorus. The rest of the album is better.

"Immigrant Song" - Led Zeppelin Early Days: Best Of Led Zeppelin Vol. 1
I'm not much of a classic rock fan, but the opening riff is so memorable you almost have to have this song on your iPod. So I do.

"Stuntin' Like A Black Rock" - Birdman & Lil' Wayne vs Black Rock The Hood Internet Mixtape Vol. 1
Black Rock provide a funky garage-pop backing to Birdman and Lil' Wayne's boastful raps that put me in mind of Nancy Sintatra as a thug. Don't ask, my mind goes places it shouldn't when the music is bumping.

"Crash And Burn Girl" - Robyn Robyn
"I should write a song about you/and all the shit you do" is the opening line of this track off Robyn's stellar pop record, current front-runner for my album of the year. So Robyn does write a song about a girl who fucks up her love life over and over again, but not without admitting: "Everytime you mess it up like that I see myself in you"

"Gimme More" - Britney Spears Blackout
It's Britney, bitch! The comeback single from the pop-diva-cum-tabloid-baby zigs with quirky synth lines, zags with vocoded vocals and a beat to cause gaysted club boys and girls to lose their shirt and grind on the nearest pole. You want more? I've give you more!

No comments: