Monday, June 30, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle, Vol. 17

This is the seventeenth installments of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Stop Me Medley (Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before/You Keep Me Hanging On)" - Mark Ronson feat. Daniel Merriweather Version
Mark Ronson's blend of sixties pop and modern beats fascinated me last year. Besides his own album, his production work on albums by Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse solidified his reputation as a whiz-kid producer. The medley of songs by The Smiths and The Supremes is awesome, the horns and beat make it funky, but also sweet and slow.

"Can't Complain" - Nickel Creek Reasons Why: The Very Best
In this passionate ballad, Chris Thile tells of going with a girl who his buddy stands up, then things get sour. They move in together, he cheats, but he told her "I could love her/I told her I could lie/so she can't complain"

"4 Minutes" - Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake 4 Minutes (Single)
The second this track was available for legal download, I was on it like white on rice. How could I resist the siren call of Madonna working with production master Timbaland on a brassy marching band beat, while getting an assist from my boyfriend Justin Timberlake. Mmmm... Justin Timberlake ::eyes glaze over:: Wait, where was I? Oh, this song rocks!

"Breaking Free" - Porter Block Guilt By Association
I have no idea who Porter Block are, but by covering the top ten single from Disney Channel sensation High School Musical, they have taken over my iPod. Who thought you could take a cheesy duet and turn it into a three minute modern rock jam? I'm guessing they are slightly embarrassed by this contribution to the Guilt By Association album of indie rock groups covering pop guilty pleasures, since they don't mention it on their official website. Be proud! You done good.

"Kiss Me" - Sixpence None The Richer Kiss Me/Love (Single)
This jangly bit of dreamy modern rock blew up after showing up on Dawson's Creek and She's All That. But Sixpence None The Richer started life as a Christian Rock band with minor hits, but a devoted following. But even a Christian Rock fanatic like me knew them best for "Kiss Me" and that's OK.

No comments: