Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle Volume 16

This is the sixteenth installments of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Summertime" - Nina Simone Trouble On My Mind
This jazzy interpretation of the Gershwin classic has one of the longest instrumental intros of any song on my iPod. The vocals don't start until about halfway through the song. It has a more free form style than her version on Verve Jazz Masters 17 disc, or the Billie Holiday, Sandi Patty or Fantasia versions that are also on my iPod. I do love me some jazz standards!

"Lucky Star" - Madonna The Immaculate Collection
One of the Material Girl's earliest hits, "Lucky Star" is just post-disco fun. Bubblegummy and sweet, it just makes you want to bop around the kitchen while you do the dishes or sing along at the top of your lungs in the car. While she has had better pop hits, this one started it all and I must give my props.

"Stronger" - Britney Spears Greatest Hits: My Perogative
Not one of my favorites among Brit's pop hits, but an OK girl power/breakup song. I much prefer Kanye's Stronger to Britney's, though.

"Big Girls Don't Cry" - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons Malt Shop Memories: Save The Last Dance [Disc 1]
I just downloaded this box set on my iTunes this afternoon. I borrowed it from my Grammy, cause I don't have enough old school music in my iPod, and that just won't do. I listened to the oldies stations a lot as a teenager, and I have no patience for those who dislike the "old junk." The boy bands of today couldn't have happened with out the blueprint of groups like this, the "indie" rock scene takes a lot from the garage bands of the sixties. As Solomon said in, "There is no new thing under the sun."

"The Lighthouses Tale" - Nickel Creek Reasons Why: The Very Best
This is a sad bluegrass ballad, which tells the tale of lighthouse keeper meets girl, girl falls for keeper, girl dies at sea, keeper jumps off lighthouse. I love the more non-traditional bluegrass-meets-alternative songs of Nickel Creek, but there is nothing wrong with something more traditional and folksy.

No comments: