Thursday, February 26, 2009

American Idol Recap! How Much Worse Can It Get?

Seriously, I am beyond disappointed in the season of Idol. Once again, a lot of piss-poor song choices and weird vocal tics. Where have all the brilliant singers gone?

First off, Jasmine Murray is cute as a goddamn button! Straight up, y'all. But she tried to bring a new flava to Sara Barellies' "Love Song" and didn't quite hit the right place with it. It could have been hot, her vocals were very gospel-tinged R&B and I wanted to love it. But it didn't ride the instruments well, and that's a recurring theme tonight.

Again with the R&B vocals over a decidedly non-R&B sound! Matt Girard tried to turn the Grammy winning "Viva La Vida" into a smoky blues thing, but forgot that the whole song is a series of synthesized strings. The lyrics actually lend themselves to a bluesy arrangement, but he left then as is and just changed up the vocals. He's really interesting, but he really bombed with that attempt.

I was bored by Janeane Vailes version of "This Love." The vocals were quite forced. She did have great gams, though.

Why do I enjoy the musical comedy of Nick Mitchell's "Norman Gentle"? Is it the blatant mocking of the overly serious version of the Broadway hit "And I Am Telling You" - a song I love despite it's histrionics? Is it the fact that the judges seem not to realize he's make an utter fool of them as well as himself? Or is just the shiny, shiny shirt? Who knows, all I know is he may win the whole damn thing.

I think I found my favorite girl! Allison Fraheta just rocked the fuck out of Heart's "Alone" and I couldn't be happier. He vocals are just raw, strong and blisteringly hot. She doesn't have the diva range, but she has more power than any other performer this year. I am in love with her red hair, too. She's like my new Paramore.

Kris Allen started super boring and forgettable when he hit the stage to perform "Man In The Mirror" but then it exploded into a very strong vocal. Plus he's pretty cute. Still not the most memorable or interesting guy this year but he may make the top twelve.

I don't get the appeal of Megan Joy Corkrey's voice. It's got a weird inflection that would sound good in some songs, but not "Put You Records On." Her voice could have sounded cool in a slower song, where it could meander between the chords. But it sounded constrained, like a caged bird with a muzzle.

I do like Matt Breitzke. I do! He's a totally cool dude with a voice for 1960's rock. He didn't really fit into Tonic's "If You Could Only See" despite having a lot of love for the song. He really bored me, and I never thought I say that about a guy like that.

I didn't see a lot of range in Jesse Langseth's voice, but you don't need range for "Bette Davis Eyes." What you do need is some attitude, which she had. But what I love about Jesse, who I don't recall ever seeing before, is her attachment to the song. I love it when peeps talk muso like that, I think it's fucking awesome that she knows that much about pop music.

I am totally bored by Kai Kalaman. His hair is obnoxious, his vocals were dull and his choice of song uninspired. "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" is a snooze...

Michavonna Hanson joins the karaoke queue with Train's "Drops Of Jupiter." Again, nothing special. I can't even remember what it sounded like.

Here we go! Adam Lambert does the drama queen thang with a bristling cover of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." It's very awesome, very theatrical and rather over the top - in a good way. He has ridiculous range for a guy, I'm looking forward to hearing more from him.

No comments: