Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mariah, We Get It. You Are Hard-Core Gangsta. Can I Have Another "We Belong Together" Please?

Oh, Mimi! You know I love that multi-octave voice, those ballads that you effortlessly belt and even the occasional club-banger you get my booty popping to. But girl, can you please just give me another piece of pure heart-breaking bliss that was "We Belong Together" on Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel? This "Obsessed" thing (way to steal Beyonce's movie title, bee-tee-dubs) isn't the worst piece of trash I've heard, but it seems better suited to Ashanti or some other lesser diva. I understand you wanna call out Eminem for his recent on-record slams against you and the hubby. But the best revenge is looking fabulous and sounding amazing, and doesn't seem to be a problem for you, hun. The problem is that tired ghetto beat and lackadaisical chorus does nothing to show off the pipes. Remember, it's all about the pipes. We love you Mimi, but we love you more when you sing "We Belong Together" Try that one again, because you and ballads do belong together...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I tell you that I just heard this song today on another blog (I'm sorry Paul, I'll never leave this page again!) and A) didn't realize she was even working on an album and B) certainly didn't think it was coming out in August! Was I living under a Mariah Carey sized rock? Or did this sneak up on you too?

Onto the song. I actually like it. Don't listen to it more than twice or you'll kinda be hooked. But I wouldn't worry about the ballads. Hopefully, Mariah's team will handle the subsequent singles from this album better than "E=MC2". I'm sure they'll release a slow jam. Let's hope.

C. Paul Keller said...

Junior, if I had a garden I would ask to use your Mariah-sized rock for "scuptural interest" as I was not living under one of my own.

Actually, I only heard about the new album about a month ago, she Twittered the title. A couple of blogs were gossiping about the lead single being aimed at Eminem ever since. So I've been keeping my ear to the ground for Mimi-related news, but she's not the next Kelly or Madonna in terms of non-stop P&C coverage.

Anonymous said...

Oh, it was Twitter! TWITTER! Darn you Twitter! You got me again!

Although I will never do it because the last thing anyone needs are more of my thoughts, I must admit that Twitter does dispense the news with efficiency. Well now that I'm up to speed, I'll just pretend like I knew what was up all along.

I'll go to the Food Court with my friends and say things like "Oh, I knew about that song months ago. She Twittered about it. Yeah, keep up." Hair flip.

C. Paul Keller said...

I actually didn't see the tweet myself, I'm not quite up on things. But I saw a tweet from Chart Rigger about a blog post that mentioned the tweet. I play Follow The Links alot...

Yeah, I'm that cool.