Monday, April 12, 2010

In Search Of The Perfect Pop Record: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore

Each week, Picture & Conversations is going on a search. A quest, if you will, for the holy grail for pop fans like myself. The perfect pop record is out there; but can I find it? Join me as I go In Search Of The Perfect Pop Record. To understand my definition of perfection, check this post.


When I started thinking about perfect pop records, I knew I had a lot of music to comb through. From the girl groups in the early days of rock 'n' roll through the techno pop of today, pop music has gone through changes in instruments and recording processes. But one thing remains: The Hook. Today we will take a look at an old single; but with a hook and story as fresh as this morning's donuts.

Lesley Gore is one of the original girl singers. Her first single, recorded as a 16-year-old, was the bouncy number one "It's My Party." The year was 1963. That same year she released her second album, Lesley Gore Sings Of Mixed Up Hearts, which included the feminist anthem "You Don't Own Me" - a 1964 number two song.

"You Don't Own Me" is possibly one of the Perfect Pop Records. It has a sweeping chorus, with lyrics that matter. In an era in which young girls were expected to be no more than arm candy when out and to keep their opinions to themselves, these lyrics were practically unheard of:

Please, when I go out with you
Don't put me on display,
'Cause
You don't own me
Don't try to change me in any way
You don't own me
Don't tie me down 'cause I'd never stay

It's a feminist anthem - a girl's coming out as a person, not an object to be owned. In fact, it's often considered the start of the modern women's lib movement. But as important and revolutionary as the lyrics are, is it perfect pop?

The record opens with a deep, dark piano. Lesley's voice is held up by either background singers or a layering effect, creating a somber and mood-driven effect. The string kick in for the chorus and stay for much of the track. It starts in a minor key, then lifts to the major key at the chorus. It's a classic pop trick, one that makes this single a quietly strong song.

"You Don't Own Me" was covered by Joan Jett, Dusty Springfield and Bette Midler. It's interesting that Lesley, the bubbly little girl who cried when Judy stole her boyfriend on "It's My Party", would go on to record this song better than the ballsy gals like the Devine Miss M and Ms. Blackheart. Of course, even more interesting is the fact that Lesley, Joan and Dusty are all lesbians. Is the gay mafia earning royalties from this?

"You Don't Own Me" is a great pop song with great history, but is it THE Perfect Pop Record? I think we should explore a few more before we bestow that distinction yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this?! I adore this song like no joke. It's one of my American Idol songs, as in I would pretend to start one song and slip into "You Don't Own Me" and sing the hell out of it! Great pick!

C. Paul Keller said...

It's an amazing song! You have great taste...