Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sugababes "Get Sexy", Sample Right Said Fred

I know, it seems like every non-Madonna post this week has featured a sample. That's cause it did. I don't know if the music world is that lazy, or if we have literally run out of words and sounds and have no choice but to recycle songs. Al Gore probably approves.

Anyway, skankalicious British girl-group Sugababes have been burning up the charts in the UK for years, but US audiences have been denied their charms. Until now. Jay-Z's Roc Nation label is releasing their new disc Sweet 7 in the US and the first single is "Get Sexy."

It's a crazy club banger that reminds me of Kevin Rudolf's "Let It Rock" until the chorus goes all Right Said Fred. The trio use the melody and lyric structure from one of the most ridiculous one-hit wonders off all time, "I'm Too Sexy" and I think it works in a very trashy kind of way. I course, my taste level has always been suspect so you should totally watch and let me know...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. A sample I don't hate! I actually really like it, because it's a "wink, wink" kind of sample. They clearly don't need it to complete the song, they don't even need it for the hook, but it gives a little sly girl answer track to the original.

But can we talk about how every time they say "sexy," I hear the beginning of PCD's "When I Grow Up" and I hate that song so I want no association!

C. Paul Keller said...

Ooh, Junior, I didn't noticed the PCDness until you brought it up. That makes me sad because "When I Grow Up" is quite possibly the worst piece of recorded sound (I refuse to call it a song) ever.

But I'm excited I posted a sample you enjoyed! Yay!