Thursday, September 17, 2009

Trashy Thursday: Vanessa Williams - "Save The Best For Last"

Trashy Thursdays will be happening every Thursday (duh) and will feature the trashy pop songs I kinda love. Don't get it twisted, I think pop music is an art form. But like all art, there are brilliant artistic works are fresh and dynamic and new as well as less inspired pieces of art. Sometimes those less inspired bits are as much fun as the "good" stuff, that's why we're getting trashy!

OK, I love me some divas. And Vanessa Williams is a goddess of feirceness with lovely vocal skills and decent acting chops. But can we talk about her post-Miss America scandal pop breakthrough? I love it so, it's one of my all time favorite songs. But the lyrics, especially on the chorus, are so laughable I have to call Trashy on it!

"Sometimes the snow comes down in June" OK, I'll give you that. Maybe you're in Australia. "Sometimes the sun goes round the moon" Yeah, I'm not a astronaut or anything but I'm pretty sure that's impossible. "Just when I thought our chance had passed, you go and save the best for last" Aww, it's sweet and a little resigned. Add in some seriously dramatic strings and a sad piano line underneath some seriously emotive vocals and it's a master class in cheesy pop balladry. Which is why I frakkin' love it!

But the video is pure early-1990s. The faux-fur coat, the sparkly champagne colored turtleneck with matching gold leggings, the nude shoulders shot tastefully in black-and-white, the string group playing under a projected video of Vanessa. It's "classy" - quotes included.

I hope no one thinks I dislike the song or Vanessa. I love this song, but I also understand it's kinda trashy. Enjoy it anyway...

No comments: