Thursday, September 10, 2009

Trashy Thursday: Jump5 - "Spinning Around"

Trashy Thursdays will be happening every Thursday (duh) and will feature the trashy pop songs I kinda love. Don't get it twisted, I think pop music is an art form. But like all art, there are brilliant artistic works are fresh and dynamic and new as well as less inspired pieces of art. Sometimes those less inspired bits are as much fun as the "good" stuff, that's why we're getting trashy!

Back in the day, when I was a good boy who only listened to Christian music and attended church every time the doors were open, there was a Christian teen pop market. It was filled with wholesome alternatives to Britney and S Club 7 and a lot of it was pretty good. Racheal Lampa had a beautiful voice and Stacie Orrico was the funky girl-next-door who wrote piano ballads about friends with anorexia. But when a group of kids a couple years younger than myself joined forces for Jump5 (the gospel answer to S Club 7) even I knew it was gloriously trashy.

Of course, I was a closet case so I couldn't figure out why I thought Chris was so darn attractive. It's not as pervy as it sounds, he's only two years younger than me. OK, kinda pervy. But the song is pure cheese with a layer of smaltz (and braces!) Plus, the lyrics are vauge enough that parents would assume that God was the ones spinning them around, but I'm pretty sure the Disney Channel crowd assumed that it was some cute young thing turnin' it upside down. Either way, complete trash you need to see to believe!




If that's not trashy enough, here's a link to a cover of "Beauty & The Beast" from the DVD release of that Disney film.

No comments: