Monday, January 30, 2012

Soundtrack Of The Day: "When In Rome" - Nickel Creek

I like to think of myself as a person with broad taste. I like all kinds of music from Euro club tracks to doo wop to power ballads. I love it when genre get mangled together like musical gumbo. But I surprised myself by really digging Nickel Creek's blend of classic bluegrass instruments and alternative rock song structures. "When In Rome" never really decides if it's bluegrass or country or alt-country or alternative rock. And I like that a lot. Plus that mandolin player Chris Thile is smoking hot. Never said that about a mandolin player before.

2 comments:

Aunt Laura said...

Wow, I remember listeing to this with you. One of my favs too. But I hafta admit I've never really like any of their other songs.

C. Paul Keller said...

I like a couple of others, ("Reasons Why" and "Can't Complain" mostly) but this is still my favorite.