Thursday, May 22, 2008

American Idol Recap - David vs David

I know we all know who won already. I didn't have time yesterday to post my AI blog, so all my comments are based on my written opinions made at the time of the performance episode. I really thought Archie was gonna win after that epi, boy was I so happy to be wrong!

David Cook started the night out with U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and, as usual, was amazing! He has probably one of the strongest and clearest voices in rock, he is always on point vocally, no shouting or growling to cover lack of range. Plus, hot jackets! His original song, "Dream Big" had a serious Disney Channel vibe, like it was meant for Hannah Montana and she was like "I'll do 'See You Again' instead." His enunciation could have been clearer, but he still rocked a somewhat trite song. The last song was classic Cookie, take a song, make it his own and imbue it with emotion and meaning. He truly has an artists touch! "The World I Know" was more intimate than we've really seen, acoustic, stripped down, just man and guitar sexing the stage up. It wasn't the WOW moment Simon wanted. Which brings me to the judges comments. After Syesha last week, I thought we'd seen the last of the judges throwing the Idols under a bus. But both Randy and Simon we're either damning him with faint praise or outright criticizing him, when his performances were, like always, miles ahead of the competition. I really think they were try to give Archuleta the win.

And if David Archuleta had won, at least he wouldn't have been the worst winner, Taylor Hicks has that distinction sewn up. And his "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" was very nice, well sung and just OK. His vocals didn't have the power of the George Micheal version, in fact they had trouble rising above the band in parts. The original song, "In This Moment" was even more trite than the first one, and his vocals were light again. But the judges were so quick to praise him as the best thing ever! It pissed me off. Hopefully his 14 week old "moment" warmed back up will at least give them something worth praising. "Imagine" was exactly the same as it was at the beginning of the season; sweet, emotional, nice and overly embellished with runs. But Randy loves runs! Based on the judges comments, I was sure Lil' Archie had won this thing.

But, for the first time in the five seasons I've watched Idol, my guy won! I watched J Hud, Nadia, Mandisa and B-Shorty fail, but now my beloved Cookie is the American Idol! And I should have have trusted he would, because I landed fourth in the AI pool, when I could have been second if I had picked him for the win. Dammit! But I know have a new blog tag for my cloud, David Cook: American Idol!

No comments: