Wednesday, May 7, 2008

American Idol Recap - Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame Week

I didn't get American Idol taped last night, but I didn't spazz this time! I just hit the YouTube up for some vids, by 9:30 all the performances were posted. I only got to hear a couple of the judges comments, which is fine, so I missed Syesha crying and stuff like that. But I'm here for the tunage, so let's go!

Uh oh, David Cook is going first. The First Curse has taken out a few people this season, but I'm sure David Cook will be safe, I voted about thirty times for him. Because I love him, not because "Hungry Like The Wolf" was anything special. It sounded very similar to the Duran Duran original, and his vocals were OK, it really wasn't anything special. For his second song, he took on the Who's "Baba O'Riley" (aka the theme from CSI: NY) Again, the vocals weren't special and while he slowed the arrangement down to make it more "Cook-y" it's wasn't as hot as usual. But still kinda on fi-ya! Anna says it sucks balls, but so does Anna, so there you go!

Syesha Mercado did a great Tina Turner impression on "Proud Mary" but didn't bring much originality to it. The Ike & Tina version is so iconic, I'm glad she didn't try to "make it her own" or anything. Plus, it was pretty cool, so kudos to her! And while "A Change Is Gonna Come" was a little pageanty, it was solid. But did you see the girls all out and proud? It might not have been the appropriate song for cleavage baring, but damn, if you got it, flaunt it!

Jason Castro just needs to leave. "I Shot The Sheriff" was breathy, with god-awful vocals, no stage presence, just the worst I've seen all season. And he forgot the words to "Mr Tambourine Man" as well as sounding like a bad country singer. Go, Jason, go!

Nothing like taking a classic, soulful song like "Stand By Me" and totally whitening it out there, David Archuleta! He didn't connect with the song, despite what smoke the judges were blowing up his ass. It was not good, it was over sung and obnoxious. "Love Me Tender" was slightly better, but he's way too young and innocent looking to sing that kind of song. I didn't feel like he was singing it to someone he's in love with, which is what all good teen idols need to do.

Seriously, not a good week, y'all. Rather boring, and Jason Castro should leave, fo' sho'. Syesha may be in trouble, but probably not going anywhere.

No comments: