Monday, May 5, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle, Vol. 9

This is the ninth installment of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Big Rock Candy Mountain" - Harry McClintock O Brother, Where Art Thou?
A vintage song about a hobo's paradise, from the Grammy winner for Album of the Year. The album is an amazing collection of Americana. Kind of silly.

"Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" - Madonna Hard Candy
Seriously, I just reviewed this album in my last post. Timbaland recreates the creepy/sexy score he perfected on Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" to highlight Madonna's tale of a possessed lover. One of the best tracks from the new Madonna album.

"Chips Ahoy!" - The Hold Steady This Is Next Volume 1
I'm not really a big fan of this indie-rock tune. I didn't even know I had it on my iPod. It's about horse racing and having a good time, but it seems overly noisy. "How am I supposed to know if you're high if you won't even dance" is crappy "cool" songwriting at it's worst.

"Good Life" - Kanye West feat T-Pain Graduation
Really, is this just an updated "Big Rock Candy Mountain"? Kanye bites a line from 50 Cent, brags (a lot!) and loves the girls that "ain't on TV cause they got more ass than the models." T-Pain vocodes his way through, as usual.

"Love Me Or Hate Me" - Lady Sovereign Public Warning
The biggest midget in the game thanks you for the love with the best sing-along chorus in rap for years: "Love me or hate me/it's still an obsession/Love me or hate me/That is the question/If you love me/Thank you/If you hate me/fuck you" She's just an average British lass with a potty mouth. "I can't dance and I really can't sing/I can only do one thing and that's be Lady Sovereign" And we love your for it...

No comments: