Sunday, September 28, 2008

3.12 Live @ MCC Harrisburg

OK, back story: I met Deb at church shortly after I started attending MCC over the summer. She is super nice lady, and she complimented me on my glasses, which y'all should know is a easy way to get in my good graces! Turns out, she's a member of this really great trio called 3.12 and she invited me to one of their coffeehouse appearances a while back. I could only make it for a half-hour on my lunch break so when I heard of their Common Hope concert I knew I had to be there!

At the show Saturday night 3.12 really brought it all to the table: full band, two original songs and over a dozen covers of CCM, pop and Broadway tunes. Opening with a cover of Krystal Harris's "My Religion" before segueing into "Seasons Of Love" from Rent, Deb, David and Jason's polished and professional vocals were well-served by the addition of a band. Midway through the first set they really hit a high mark with a stunning version of Seal's "Love's Devine" featuring Jason on lead vocals over acoustic guitar and a tribal beat. The trio followed that with a southern gospel vamp on the modern standard "Bridge Over Troubled Water" before introducing their stellar band. A few songs later, including the original "Bold New Song," and the first set ended.

After the snack-filled intermission, during which time I picked a copy of 3.12's Christmas EP available at their website, the early highlights included a faithful cover of Sheryl Crow's "I Shall Believe" and hymn medley. The true standouts were a dramatic and moody piano ballad original "Not Afraid" and a really delightful variation on Avalon's massive 1998 hit "Testify to Love," which started with an acoustic guitar reminiscent of Wynonna's version for Touched By An Angel before veering into an arrangement similar to the hit version. Those two performances created a one-two punch that lead to the finale: my favorite gospel standard, "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" that truly exemplified 3.12's motto: "Healing Music For Wounded Souls." If you enjoy harmonious adult pop, you really should check out 3.12 at a coffeehouse near you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul--

Thanks for the very kind words and the links! So glad you could join us Saturday!

: )
David

Jason said...

It was great to see you there Paul. Thanks for supporting us in person, spirit, and words.