Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Old-ish Product: Allison Moorer's "Mockingbird"

It seems I'm playing catch-up these days when it comes to cool new music. I heard a song about a mockingbird on the pop station at work over the weekend and I was instantly confused. "Why don't I know this song? This song is pretty damn cool." So I had to google that shit as soon as I got home.

I'm not sure this is the same song, I don't remember it having such a gospel-tinged country/jazz sound, but this title track off of Allison Moorer latest album a really nice classic Americana song, no relation to the Carly Simon song or the lullaby with the same name. The smooth sax solo is straight out of big sister Shelby Lynne's brillant Just A Little Lovin' disc, and the emotive vocals put Allison in the same league as the great American song-interpreters like Billie Holiday or Frank Sinatra.

Mockingbird - Allison Moorer

No comments: