Monday, September 22, 2008

Why I Love Fall...

Every third MySpace survey seems to ask "What is your favorite season?" and I always say "Fall!" Why? Well, let me tell you...
Fall is the time of year when you can curl up with a good book and a cup of hot cider or chocolate, while your hunky boyfriend wears half-zipped sweaters with nothing on underneath and bakes pumpkin-spice cookies. While the cookies cool off, the two of you take a walk in the sunny afternoon, leaves crunching under your feet as you laugh cause your scarf keeps tickling him when you kiss. In theory, this is what is great about fall.

In practice, none of that stuff has happened to me, so here is the real reasons I love fall:

FOOD! Besides the fresh pumpkin pies and apple-cranberry crisp that I always make for Thanksgiving, I also adore the local produce. "What?" you say, "Summer is the time to hit the farmer's market, not fall! Silly gay boy..." But in summer, do you have fresh pressed cider? What about huge apples and juicy pears, picked just hours before you arrived? And the beautiful pumpkins and gourds just waiting for you to take home and leave in a bowl to be decorative now, but you will really make into pumpkin pie later? Only you don't really, because seriously a can of Libby's is so much easier and smoother tasting? But the thought was there? Yeah, that's what I thought.

WEATHER! I hate to be hot, too bad I'm so smoking hawt that I raise the temperature of every room I'm in. Such a burden! But I'm not a big fan of freezing my nips off, either. So that leaves fall and spring weather to enjoy. But spring is so wet, and I can't wear canvas shoes for fear of soaked toes. Fall has the perfect temps, plus the gorgeous changing leaves in my favorite shades of orange, red and yellow. It's the only time of year I wish I was back in Potter County.

FASHION! (Put it all on me, don't you want to see these clothes on me?) Sorry, had a Montag Moment. I love fall because it's time for sweaters, sweater vests, light jackets, hoodies, scarves and hats. I hate shorts, I don't do ball caps and flip flops annoy me, so summer fashion is not my deal. And boots and heavy coats make my portly frame look even pudgier, so winter fashion is not for me, obvs! But fall is the time to throw a zip-up grey sweater over your polo and head out, or wrap a striped scarf around your neck for just a little warmth and a lot of style. And my wine-colored velveteen Dragonfly jacket with black hood (pictured at left) is fierceness personified. Ooh! I think I need this sweater right here.

So, that's why I love fall. Of course, if the opening scenario comes true, I'll like it even more...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post, Paul! I love fall too for all the reasons you said, especially getting to wear sweaters!

I have this one sweater that has what I like to call "fashion editorial collar" like it's wool and so high up my neck that I doesn't go with anything else and you can't cover it up with a coat. It would be a waste. I'm so ready to wear it!

p.s. I have Montag moments everyday too...

C. Paul Keller said...

OMG, that sweater sounds amazing. I love unique details like that in clothes. I have been dying to wear my Dragonfly jacket, but it's not been quite cool enough to wear it, yet.

Almost everytime I say the word "fashion" my brain tries to get me to sing that darn song! It's catchy as hell, but even knowing who Heidi Montag is makes me feel so dirty, like I don't deserve to listen to indie rock anymore. But then I remember I liked a Paris Hilton song and realize I gave up up any hope of hipster cred years ago.