Monday, September 29, 2008

Reluctantly Enjoyed: Brandi Carlisle - "The Story"

Occasionally I rush to judgement on a song. Either I dislike the artist, so I don't give it chance; or at first glance it's doesn't seem like my kind of song. Sometimes, I judge too harshly and end up regretting it. Here is another song I Reluctantly Enjoyed.

I enjoy chick rock. I enjoy singer-songwriter chicks. I love Regina Spektor, Ingrid Michealsen and St. Vincent, like some of Feist's stuff and Reluctantly Enjoyed Cobie Callait's "Realize" So why didn't I like Brandi Carlisle?

Perhaps it was the over-hyped Grey's Anatomy music video for "The Story." I end up liking alot of the music they use on the show, but the idea of forcing us to connect a certain artist and song to a glorified commercial, instead of creating backdrops for the drama, seemed like an attempt to get veiwers to buy the soundtrack.

Maybe it was Brandi's interview as part of VH1's "You Oughta Know" series. She claimed that she wasn't dramatic, so she "allows my voice to be dramatic." Sister, if you have to tell me your voice is dramatic, it probably isn't. It's just weird.

Whatever reasons, I was underwhelmed. Until recently, when Vh1 put the video back in rotation (I don't know why) and my pop station at work upped the plays of the song. And this line just kept burning into my brain: "These stories don't mean anything when you've got no one to tell them to. Oh it's true, that I was made for you" That is why Brandi writes songs, and that is why I blog. I shouldn't have resisted the allure for so long, this song is genius. Listen here.

No comments: