Wednesday, September 3, 2008

From Frump To Fab In Under Four Years, Or; License To Thrill

I was a late bloomer, in more ways than one. I didn't get my driver's license until I was 21, I didn't come out of the closet (Well, officially. Everybody knew before I did...) until I was 23, I didn't go on a date until I was 24. Sad, right? Don't be sad for me, though. Everything in it's own time.
For example, I was reminded of just how much has changed for the better in the past four years. Besides getting a job that I excelled at, I learned how to be fabulous. Working out, eating just a little bit smarter and you drop fifty or so pounds. Realize that you can make people laugh, and you make more friends. Mix Goodwill finds and last-season looks from Marshall's and basics from Old Navy, Target or even (gasp!) Walmart with the occasional splurge (like a vest from Express or an amazing jacket by Dragonfly) and you have a look that makes salesgirls take note. Being fabulous is not as hard as it looks, but some people just have the extra something to pull it off effortlessly. Those people are me and Tyra Banks.

What prompted this strut down memory lane, this tale of my journey from Frump Boi to Fashion Star? Well, this:

This is what I looked like on my old Driver's License, in my jean jacket with a Family Guy pin on the lapel and in desperate need of a hair cut and better glasses. I tried, the sweater was from Target, my idea of the height of fashion at the time. It was better than the South Pole-wearing vanilla thug look I tried for a hot minute. A very sad little hot minute. Then I started watching "What Not To Wear" and paying attention to what made my body look good.

Today I had an interview with Barnes & Nobles, and of course I took care to wear the very best. My new Express sweater vest over a DKNY white button-down, black Old Navy pants and my Georgio Brutini shoes and black-and-white checkerboard socks. After the interview I had to renew my Driver's License. That is what fabulous looks like!

You can't really see any of the amazing clothes I'm wearing. But that's OK, you can see on my face just how fabulous I feel. And, kids, that's what fabulous is all about. If you feel it, you will rock your Walmart jeans and your SalvArm jacket. Your shoes may be worth five bucks, but you pair it with a million-dollar smile and you're golden. Oh, and my hair looks fierce! That helps...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIERCENESS! You just reminded me that I really need to go shopping again. I took a year and a half off to pay my credit cards off and I lost some fierceness. Just the outer fierceness though, promise!

C. Paul Keller said...

Aww, thanks!

I'm glad only your outer feirceness is slightly dulled, inner feirceness is harder to get back! Besides, your writing is feirce enough to make up for any lost points in the wardrobe dept.

I have really tried hard to avoid using a credit card, because I know once I start with just a pair of jeans here, a hot DKNY tank there and BAM I'm a zillion dollars in debt. I just got an Express card, (in order to get an extra 15% off the feirce sweater vest) and I'm already really tempted to use it. They have such nice things... that I really don't need.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Paul! What's funny is that my credit problems came from my car. Instead of learning how to live without one, I kept charging all its repairs until I was in debt.

But that in no way means I justify using cards to shop! Everyone, just save up a certain reasonable amount and use that money to shop with all year (this is why God invented the prepaid credit card btw). You'll feel the guilty pleasure of shopping sprees without the financial ruin!