Monday, August 24, 2009

5 Songs To Sing In The Rain

It's been raining like hell for the past week here in Central PA, but I actually don't mind it. (Except when I have to go 35MPH on the highway because it's raining so hard!) I like the rain, and almost every time there is rain in the forecast, I gear up to sing one of these songs:

"Soon It's Gonna Rain"
I didn't even know where this song came from until a Google search, all I remember is hearing Della Reese sing a couple lines on an episode of Touched By An Angel and that's the part I always sing when the clouds gather. "Soon it's gonna rain, I can feel it/Soon it's gonna rain, I can tell/Soon it's gonna rain, and what are we gonna do" Turn out it's from the long-running musical The Fantastiks, but I will always sing it in a old gospel style. I can't find a clip of Della doing it, so enjoy Barbara Streisand's version:


Eurythmics - "Here Come The Rain Again"
The opening line is perfect for those when you look out the window and a drop hits the pane in front of you. At work, I almost always start singing this when we see the clouds descend and my coworkers scramble to get their car windows rolled up.


Garbage - "I'm Only Happy When It Rains"
While the title isn't entirely true for me, I rather enjoy the rain so I try to start singing this song whenever I walk into the rainy day without a care in the world.



The Weather Girls - "It's Raining Men"
What gay man doesn't love this campy disco classic? Whenever it's pouring down what other might call "cats and dogs," I call it raining men (hallelujah!) Perfect for those downpours that leave you absolutely soaking wet.


BJ Thomas - "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"
For a song about rain, it's an terribly sunny song. But when you thought the rain was almost over until those last few raindrops hit you it's time to sing out "I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to call you out Paul, but it's with love of course.

A rain list without... Madonna's "Rain"! One of my favorite Madge videos too with the black pixie wig and the waterfalls I want to have in my West Side loft when I'm rich!

"Raaain, I feel it, it's coming... nanananana... I don't remember the rest of the words... Raaaain!" Uh, so good. But the rest of your list was fab too.

C. Paul Keller said...

I can't believe it's possible, but I have actually never heard that Madonna song! I looked it, and it's really hot. How did I miss it?