Thursday, August 13, 2009

Skechers Shape Ups Arrive!

OK, kids. Time to drop the music and TV news for a sec and talk my favorite subject, fashion, mixed with my least favorite, fitness.

I work at a retail shoe store because blogging don't pay the bills, honey. Usually when I get excited about a new shoe at work it's a fly Marc Ecko or some sleek Steve Madden pumps. But today we got the ugliest shoes to get me excited. Skechers Shape Ups are a knock off of MBT, the "Anti-Shoe." These are so weird looking, the soles are rounded and soft and the look is very generic athletic. I'm not a big fan of Skechers regular runners and joggers, the Energy series is pretty heavy looking. But I've always loved the urban/young mans casuals that the brand has produced, with a sweet combo of athletic design with higher end leathers. It's sporty, yet sexy.

However, Shape-Ups are ugly as sin. The men's style we got in (see picture at left) is a slip resistant black leather sneaker style with black laces. So boring, I know. Why am I so excited about these crazy things? They have magical properties that help you lose weight, strenghten muscles and improve posture. I know, sounds impossible.

Well, let me tell you this: I had those puppies on for about forty minutes of some walking, some standing and a small amount of sitting and I could feel the burn! I noticed when I put my regular shoes on, my posture changed. The way the soft rounded material works is it forced you to walk as if you're on sand. There seems to to be a bit of sinking in the heel (ala Earth Shoes) and that helps with the posture. These things are amazing.

The downside is the price. At over $100 retail for all the styles, these are the most expensive Skechers my company has ever carried, possibly the most expensive style they've ever made. Even with my employee discount, I'm looking at huge investment. But if I can burn off even more calories while doing my regular walking at work, plus if I use them while exercising, they may be worth it. If I want to get them, I better do it now. The ladies style we carried sold out in weeks. They may not be pretty, but they are hot!

PS: I have not been reimbursed in any way for this blog post. But if Skechers wants to send me a free pair, I won't complain! Or MBT, I'll do a compare and contrast. But I refuse to pay $300+ for shoes. Mama's a cheap bitch.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

Great blog! I have a pair of the Mary-Jane style Skechers Shape Ups and to be fair i don't think they look too bad on! I agree though, in pictures they aren't the best looking but deffo nicer than MBT's, they are just plain UGLY!

I've been wearing my Skechers for about 4 weeks now and i'v noticed a huge difference in the toning of my legs and butt!

Rachael said...

The skechers are the best shoes and i love them. I am wearing skechers from past 2 months and find substantial improvement in reducing my weight. Even i found my lower back pain has reduced considerably.