Thursday, August 6, 2009

Paula Leaves Idol! But Do We Really Care?

It's been rumored for weeks and now Paula Abdul confirms via Twitter that she will not return to American Idol as a judge this coming season. Paula has been a judge on the TV phenomenon for the past eight seasons.

Paula has been the butt of jokes for the bulk of her tenure on Idol, although I found her comments this past season or two far more insightful than before. Between her and new judge Kara DioGuardi, it was nice to hear opinions that weren't couched in smarmy self-importance (Simon) or nonsensical collections of "dawg" and "for me, for you" (Randy.) I actually hoped Randy was the judge to leave, if they trimmed the panel back to three, but I didn't really expect that.

I like Paula. She's the sensitive judge, the one who knows what it feels like to be in the spotlight on a stage and perform for a large crowd. Randy has some experience, but only briefly as a bassist in Journey. She brought a unique perspective, even if it sometimes didn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't know how the new season will feel without Paula. And I hope it really was unanimous, that the show didn't force her off.

Here's the thing. I don't watch American Idol for the judges, and I'd be happy if the show forced them (through some kind of cut-off buzzer or something) to keep the comments to 30 seconds or less. I watch the show for the new crop of talent. I watch for the David Cooks and Adam Lamberts of the show, not the judges or host. I understand I may be in the minority on that, but as long as talented young people are singing and playing guitar and whatnot I will still be watching the show no matter who the judges are. But it will be different with out a crazy former pop star on the panel.

No comments: