Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Bettye LaVette is "Talking Old Soldiers" In Heartbreaking New Video

Y'all know I love the divas, right? I mean; I'm gay, it's kind of what we do. But, as much as I'm all about modern pop stars like Mariah, Leona and Britney, I have soft spot for the old school jazzy blues sound of Billie Holiday and Nina Simone, too. And Bettye LaVette is the modern day equivolent. Every phrase, nay - every word is just infused with such passion and back story, you don't wonder if her heart is breaking - you know it is! That's what the blues is all about, it's pain set to music.

In her new black and white video from last year's The Scene Of The Crime, the treatment is simple; just Bettye at a bar afterhours, smoking and reminescing. I just found out "Talking Old Soldiers" is a cover of an Elton John track, but Ms. LaVette twists a few lyrics and wrings every drop of emotion out of it. I doubt Elton minds. Watch:

No comments: