Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Swagger Like Us" - T.I. Samples M.I.A. With Help From Kanye, Weezy Baby and Hova

To think, it was about one year ago I hit Best buy before work so I could buy M.I.A.'s new album the day it dropped. I played it non-stop, turning all my friends onto the brilliant songs, especially "Paper Planes." That song was number two on my list last year, the album number one. But even I could never have predicted the kind of insane success she would have, thanks to the Pineapple Express trailer.

Apparently T.I. is among M.I.A.'s legion of fans, since he samples one line from the second verse ("No one on the corner has a swagger like us") for his new track "Swagger Like Us" and gets the three of the most skilled line-slingers in the game, Kanye West, Lil' Wayne and Jay-Z, to join him. A few primo lines spill out, like Jay's "Can't wear skinny jeans/cause my knots won't fit" or Kanye's "How's it feel to wake up and be the shit and the urine?" but I was really expecting more from The Best Rapper Alive, Lil' Wayne. But however hot (or not) the lines are, I'm just happy to seem someone else repping my girl Maya! T.I.'s Paper Trail drops Sept 30th.

No comments: