Sunday, August 17, 2008

Those Are The Videos Of The Year?

It's true, I am an old person trapped in an almost 25-year-old body. I will freely admit this. But please tell me I'm not the only one disappointed in the 2008 Video Of The Year nominees! Check out the noms here.

First off, the Pussycat Dolls had some hot videos off their first disc, I'm not gonna lie. I loved "Buttons" and "Beep." But "When I Grow Up" is the dumbest "song" I've heard in ages, and the video does absolutely nothing for me. They dance on top of cars (just like in "Wait a Minute") and on scaffolding (just like Paula Abdul) and on the sidewalk (just like "Singing In The Rain") The shot of them dancing in front of a lit-up "PUSSYCAT DOLLS" features some decent dancing, but I've seen better in a Danity Kane video. And the Day-Glo outfits? That pink jacket worn by Nicole should be reason enough to bar this video from being seen by people who are not legally blind.

The Jonas Brothers are an unstoppable force, I get it. I heard "Burning Up" played twice at a gay bar this weekend, which makes me think the DJ was a Boy Scout going for his pedophile badge. But the video treatment that's nominated is NOT the one they are playing on MTV. I've seen the JoBros way too many times on the MTV and all they do is play by the pool. But the version on the Nominees page is cut between the poolside pickups and some goofy fake action movie scenes. It's cute, but it should hardly stand next to "Video Of The Year" winners like "Nothing Compares 2 U" or "Work It"

I'm in love with "Forever" by Chris Brown. The video is pretty meh, but I can't hate on the amazing song. Never gonna win, though. And Britney's surprisingly self-aware look at the tabloids that she toys with and engages in a torrid love/hate affair with in "Piece Of Me" would be my pick for "Video Of The Year" if it weren't for the stunning Chic-meets-White Stripes fun of The Ting Tings' "Shut Up And Let Me Go." That song is catchy, quirky, new and worthy of being nominated. The video is cool, too...

So who should have been nominated? First big snub is Leona Lewis, who may not have had a showstopper of a video in "Bleeding Love" but that song is so freaking major, I would have nominated it anyway. And Eryka Badu's "Honey" was one of the coolest things I've seen all year, with the recreation of classic album covers like Let It Be. Duffy got all emotional and real with her second single "Warwick Avenue" which deserves some love. Who can forget Robyn? Any one of her videos are miles ahead of the competition. Mariah Carey got silly with 30 Rock's Kenneth The Page in "Touch My Body"'s nerd-centric fantasy gags. And for giving even gay guy's wood with her lipstick lesbian ways, Katy Perry deserves a nod for "I Kissed A Girl."

No comments: