Monday, August 4, 2008

Five Ten Songs On Shuffle, Volume 21

This is the twenty-first installments of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." Normally I’d put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play, but since I forgot one last week I'm doing ten songs. It's only fair!

"What I Like About You" - The Romantics The Modern Edge
Long before it was the theme to the unfortunate sitcom starring Amanda Bynes and Jenny Garth, this was a karaoke favorite and bouncy sing-along punk song. Despite the harmonica, which is my most hated instrument of all time, it's so darn fun to sing I had to have it on the 'Pod.

"Thriller" - Fall Out Boy Infinity On High
Ooh, Mr. Carter intros the best punk-pop band of the '00s! Can it get anymore celeb-centric? "Thriller" might share the title with a classic Micheal Jackson album/song/video but it's not quite the same. Almost as catchy, though.

"Streets Of Philadelphia" - Bettye LeVette Song Of America
Maybe you don't remember, but there was quite a bit of talk late last year about Janet Reno and her nephew-in-law curating this three disc collection of American music from the 1400s to the present, much of it performed by indie and folk artists. Bettye LeVette is a soul diva who was shut out of the industry as a young person in the 1970s, but has had two well reviewed discs come out in the past couple years. She brings even more emotion to this Bruce Springsteen hit, as you would expect from a big beautiful black woman.

"Love You I Do" - Jennifer Hudson Dreamgirls Motion Picture Soundtrack
Speaking of big beautiful black women, my Oscar-winning girl J.Hud sounds sooooo good in this song, written just for the film version of Dreamgirls. She has such a strong voice, perfect for this sunny Motown-biting love song.

"When In Rome" - Nickel Creek Reasons Why: The Very Best
This song was the whole reason I bought the best-of collection by the now-defunct alterna-bluegrass trio. With a writing scheme more REM than Soggy Bottom Boys, but capturing the tradition elements of fiddle and mandolin, a new sound was born. Without Nickel Creek, I don't think I could have appreciated new variations on acoustic music like Jay Brannan's stuff as much as I do.

"Anyone Else But You" - The Moldy Peaches Juno
The lo-fi acoustic sound is almost amateurish, but the sentiment and writing on this song is stellar. Just sweet but strange, just like Juno herself. And seriously, I just imported this CD from the disc I borrowed from the library this afternoon, and it's already popping up on random.

"Mississippi Goddam" - Nina Simone Verve Jazz Masters 17
After one of the many racial-related crimes in the south, Nina wrote this bitter song in response. A super-simple piano line underlines the deservedly venomous lyrics about the broken trust between African-Americans and the rest of the nation. "Everybody knows about Mississippi goddam!"

"An American Crime (End Credits)" Petra Haden, Composed By Alan Lazar An American Crime
Petra Haden is known for her a capella work, like her brilliant cover of "Don't Stop Believin'" from the Guilt By Association album. Alan Lazar takes her wordless vocals and layers them in an increasingly creepy way, building up like strings in a traditional score before breaking into a piano solo and then returning to the vocals. Seriously, one of the scariest scores I've heard in a long time.

"My Interpratation" - MIKA Life In Cartoon Motion
Not one of the best songs from his poppy debut disc, but still a serviceable adult-rock style pop song. I just unchecked from my iPod, I'm out of room and need to add some of my newer acquisitions.

"U + UR Hand" - Pink I'm Not Dead
Yeah, it's just a dirtier version of "Since U Been Gone" (Max Martin wrote both songs) but it's still a classic in the dirty-pop tradition. Also, the best masturbation song since "She Bop"

No comments: