Monday, August 25, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle, Volume 23

This is the twenty-third installments of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Mashed Potato Time" - Dee Dee Sharp Maltshop Memories: Jukebox Gems
Ooh, that new dance craze, The Mashed Potato! C'mon baby, let's shimmy to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" but we'll have to take our socks off, so we don't mark up the gym floor. Ahh, the 1950s, so quaint and darling!

"Breathless" - The Corrs In Blue
Did you know for a good few weeks, I thought this was a Shania Twain song. So embarrassing, I know, but finally a DJ did his job and mentioned who was singing it. But when I bought the CD at the Salvation Army a few years later, I learned why it sounded so Twain-y, it was produced by Shania's hubby/producer "Mutt" Lange. Makes sense now! That's why I prefer to own the CD instead of download, you get the CD booklet with all that interesting (at least to me) information.

"Lead Me On" - Amy Grant Lead Me On
Believe it or not, this is my favorite song of all time. I can't explain it, it's one of Amy's better tracks for sure and I do love me some Christian pop. But it's not what most people would expect. Maybe that's why I like it, to keep people guessing.

"When I Kissed The Teacher" - ABBA More Gold
This is an prime example of why the Swedes do pop music better than anybody else. The lyrics are ridiculous, but so catchy. Apparently the intent of kissing the teacher was to embarrass him, only instead they both realized they were in love? Mary Kay Letourneau, much?

"Doo Wop (That Thing)" - Lauryn Hill The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
I've been in love with Lauryn Hill since I saw her in Sister Act 2, and I think The Fugees version of "Killing Me Softly" is almost as good as the Roberta Flack version. But it was in the car with my cousin Jen and her cassette of the Grammy Nominees that I first heard "Doo Wop (That Thing)" and I was amazed. It's just so funky and cool, and the lyrics were not the normal pop or R&B thing.

No comments: