Wednesday, March 18, 2009

West Side Story Returns To Broadway, I May Finally Have To Go To NYC

If I were a rich man, I would be such a theatre queen. I love movie musicals but long for the over-the-top theatrics of the Great White Way. But one of my favorite movies of all time is West Side Story - that inner city romance replete with unhappy ending and gorgeous songs.

I had the soundtrack on LP as a child, and I've seen the movie dozens of times. Without even looking up lyrics or digging up YouTube clips I can sing it out: "When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way!" "I just met a girl named Maria, and suddenly that name is never quite the same again" and "I have a love, and it's all that I have." "Gee, Officer Krupke, Krup you!" Back when I was a Lord Of The Rings geek, I wrote a parody of "A Boy Like That/I Have A Love" for a LOTR message board. I still want a poster of the black West Side Story logo on a red background, I would use it as a centerpiece for a headboard above my bed.


So imagine my glee upon seeing that West Side Story is having a revival on Broadway, it opened just last week. I may have to save my pennies for a trip to the Big Apple just to see it. There have been some major changes to the music, the Sharks now sing and converse in Spanish creating a more realistic approach to the dramatic love story.

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying this photo spread of young Hollywood (and J.Lo as Anita, a role inhabited by the brilliant Rita Moreno) recreating the show for Vanity Fair. Prince Caspian's Ben Barnes and Push costars Camilla Belle and Chris Evans recreate the scenes from the film version in a nine photos shot by Mark Seliger. See it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to look around and see if I still have that album, I think we had a video of it as well. If I don't have it Rachel might. I always loved West Side Story as well, didn't know you liked it too. Made me cry every time I watched it!!! Love, Mommy

C. Paul Keller said...

I think Rachel has the album, and I have the video. I didn't know you loved it too!