Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Idol Recap! If You Play It Backwards, You Get Gokey Taking The Wheel Back From Jesus

It's Grand Ol' Opry week on Idol, two American musical institutions coming together to do... something. Naw, I'm just kidding. Mentor Randy Travis was pretty helpful with the kids, and we had some really stunning performances. It was pretty good week for our Idols, but somebody's gotta go home...

Opening the show is roughneck Michael Sarver, performing a song that is more auctioneering-level rapping than singing. "Ain't Going Down 'Til The Sun Comes Up" is not a song, and if you can't keep pace with rapid-fire lyrics you will go down in a blaze of shame. And Michael went down in a blaze of shame, even the slower lyrics in the chorus sounded strained. One plus, when you can't understand a word he's singing you can pretend he's singing "I heart Paul, and will leave my wife for him." Those were totally the lyrics, I know it. Of course, I won't let him. I have morals!

Alison Iraheta is just a ball of fire on stage, her smoky and prematurely world-weary voice worked well with Patty Loveless's "Blame It On Your Heart." She has mad vocal skills, and I can't wait to hear what she does each week.

I was surprised to see Kris Allen playing guitar in his practice session with Randy Travis, and then no guitar on stage. But it was a smart choice, allowing us to focus on the beautiful, controlled and emotional reading of the Garth Brooks song "To Make You Feel My Love." I had no idea he had such lovely falsetto, it made for a stunning conclusion to a really beautiful ballad. I don't know where Kris came from, but I'm so glad he's here.

Oh, Lil Rounds! If Simon had spent less time screwing up your name and more time actually critiquing your performance maybe you would have understood. "Independence Day" is a brilliant song, and you are a brilliant vocalist. But while your pipes shined, it sounded off. I can't really put my finger on it, but a ball was dropped somewhere. I don't think you did anything wrong, it just didn't gel. Was this a response to the Rihanna/Chris Brown scandal? Please, RiRi, don't get any Left Eye ideas!

Ok, so Adam Lambert made an army of enemies by taking a Johnny Cash song, "Ring Of Fire," and putting his own spin on it. Only, wait! He did not put his own spin on it! He jacked somebody else's spin on it! Remember that CBS show, Rock Star? It was like American Idol, only for "rock stars." It was awesome, because I love rock music in small doses and I love the theatricality of people who think they are rock stars, yet are not famous... yet. Or ever. Anyway, one week this Alison-all-grown-up contestant, Dilana, did "Ring Of Fire" as this is note-for-note the version she performed. I know, I'm "that guy" - the one who bitched about David Cook borrowing other people's arrangements last year. But Dilana not only did this arrangement first, she did it better. The weird thing is, it was very Adam at the same time. And his vocals were more theatrical, if at all possible. And you cannot deny, it was really cool. You can watch the Dilana version here.

I hate ragging on Scott MacIntyre, but I refuse to treat any different than I would anybody else. He picked a Martina McBride song, "Wild Angels" and sang it really well. But he brings this schlocky Lite AM/Adult Contemporary thing to the stage that drives me crazy. It's sleepy and unexciting, but well sung. That's the best I can do.

OK, I say this every chance I get. But "Jolene" is not only one of my favorite songs of all time, but one of the best written songs, not just in Dolly Parton's catalog, but in the world. The way that the story builds, the emotion heartbreak of this last ditch chance at saving a relationship not really worth saving. I mean, dude is cheating and you have swallowed your pride to talk the gorgeous other woman into letting him come back? He doesn't deserve you! Anyway, I thought Alexis Grace choose well. The song allowed her to reveal an emotional, vulnerable side to her voice while still showcasing the belter side that we've seen before. She has a lovely voice and I am sick to death of this sexist BS the judges keep feeding her about dirtying everything up.

Danny Gokey is singing "Jesus, Take The Wheel" of course. I have a history with this song, and will share it with you some day. It involves Jesus taking the wheel on a trip to York. I swear, that is not a joke! The verse sounded really weird, I couldn't quite tell you why or what was wrong. But the verse of this song is dumb to begin with. The emotional bit is the chorus. And Danny nailed it! He has a lot of vocal power, he just needs more control on the quieter parts. And I wrote down how dumb that jacket looked before Simon said anything. I loved how Kara was trying to get him to take it off. Any less layers between the Gokester and myself is a good thing. He didn't because he is a tool disguised as a nice guy.

Anoop Desai has proven he has a beautiful voice. I'm liking the softer side of Sears we're getting tonight. First Kris, then Alexis and now Anoop Dogg. Doing a ballad like "Always On My Mind" was smart choice, showing a lovely and smooth side to his voice. I'm really impressed by Anoop tonight.

I see Megan Joy has dropped the last name. No joke there, just an observation. But more importantly, she picked a song that allowed her unique vocals to swell and meander. "Walkin' After Midnight" is such an unusual song, a blend of jazz and country that is perfect for Megan. But can we talk about that dress? Girl needed a bra, badly. But since she's got the flu, I will let it slide this week.

Matt Giraud is the second dude to do Carrie Underwood this evening. Wait, that came out wrong. Picking the lead single from her second disc, "So Small" is of those inspirational songs Carrie likes to sneak in between the songs about smashing up dude's cars and one-night stands. One has to balance these things in the country world. But Matt took it into a church/blues place and rock the fuck out of it! Emotional, heartfelt, like Justin Timberlake if he didn't exude douchiness all over the place. I love him at the piano, I love him standing there almost crying. Where did the Matt love come from? I forgot he existed, the he blows the place up with awesomeness.

So, a lot of good this week. Who is going home? I think we could have Micheal Sarver singing for the judges save, but I don't know if enough voters "got" Megan this week. We'll see tonight!

No comments: