Friday, March 27, 2009

Idol Recap: When Smokey Sings...

Sorry the recap is late! Due to the show airing against my Bible study this week as well as work and personal obligations, I just now had a chance to watch the last episode.

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of legendary record label Motown, the Idols are performing the labels biggest hits. Who blew me away, and who just blew?

Mmm, Matt Girard. You just picked the song with a title I want to hear spoken by you every day. "Let's Get It On" is Marvin Gaye's sexiest number, and Matt didn't do a whole lot new with it. But it was a really solid, sexy and vocally enjoyable performance. Also, I just want to hear Matt say "let's get it on" over and over again. I'm repeating myself...

Following one sexy man with another is something I never object too. However, not even Kris Allen's hottie status (Square Hippies named him adorkable of the month!) will get to me enjoy "How Sweet It Is" - one of the most obnoxious love songs of all time. Also, because I hate it, I don't know how correct Kara was in saying he didn't do Marvin Gaye's version or James Taylor's version but did his own version. It didn't seem that interesting or fresh.

Scott MacIntyre continues his plans to take the Adult Contemporary throne away from Micheal Buble with a schlocky performance of "Can't Hurry Love." The honky-tonk piano needed a more soulful and gritty vocal to work, instead it sounded tinny and trite.

Meanwhile, in Crazytown, Megan Joy is tackling Stevie Wonder's "For Once In My Life." In rehearsals with Smokey, she sang it over the piano alone and it sounded kinda cool. Once they added the full band and background singers, it sounded clipped and her vocals needed that breathing room. Slowed down, she could have blown us away, but as is it was disturbing.

I just bought Marianne Faithfull's new CD (review coming this weekend, hopefully!) and she covers this Smokey classic. I think Anoop Desai did it better, he has such power in his ballads. But he's more fun in his uptempo songs. I wish he could marry the two qualities and create a powerhouse performance. This was sweet and tender but, like Simon said, a little boring.

I'm glad Micheal Sarver ain't to proud to beg, because he will have to beg to stay in the competition. One place he won't have to beg to stay? My bed... Ahem, moving on. He never took control of the song like he should have, and he was really shouty. Even before I heard he was voted off last night I knew was bottom three, at least.

Lil Rounds needs help in picking songs. Two weeks in a row her stunning vocals have been tied down to melodies that didn't allow her to soar. With "Heatwave" I could tell she had fun, and that dress was amazing. But she was a little shouty in spots (I wrote that before Kara said it!) and she needs a diva song to remind America why she's fabulous.

I loved the Link Larkin look Adam Lambert was sporting, but I hope he's not going to faux-class it up for America all the time. But even better than the suit, his reinterpretation of "Tracks Of My Tears" allowed the lyrics to shine. His falsetto and the minimal instrumentation kept the story of heartbreak front and center. I love that classic Motown sound, but he really took the song to a higher place.

Danny Gokey, why you gotta do the mentors like that? Remember my girl LaKisha, she ignored the advice of Lulu and Rod Stewart and... well she made it to the top four. Nevermind, carry on. After Smokey told him to sing the "alrights" and "outta sights" of "Get Ready" he let the BGVs do it for him. Between that, and the fact I just noticed he has a really great ass, I couldn't pay attention to the performance much. It sounded decent, but he needs to wow me again. Taking off his pants doesn't count, but I won't stop him!

Ohh, snap. We have a new female frontrunner! Alison pulled ahead of Lil to grab the ring when she stomped her high heels around that stage and tore "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" a new one. Her vocal power is astonishing, and sounds effortless. I am constantly amazed at the way this little sixteen-year-old fireball just brings energy and grit to the stage, every week. The boys may be cute this year, but girlfriend is white-hot.

OK, so Micheal went home. I could have guessed that. And while I'm a little bit sad to lose some eye candy, there is plenty more - plus loads of talent. I'll bet some of these guys have huge talents. (Can you tell I haven't gotten laid lately?) Join me next week, this time I should be on schedule.

No comments: