Wednesday, March 11, 2009

American Idol Recap: It's Only Human Nature...

Our Idols opened the extensive Micheal Jackson songbook and managed to pull some good performances, some bad ones and one I can't figure out which column to put in.

Lil Rounds started the night out with a high energy "The Way You Make Me Feel" complete with powerful vocals. She didn't have an emotional connection with the song, but it wasn't really required.

I have one question for Scott MacIntyre: who did your hair? The Phil Spector 'fro was not a hot look, and I know he can't see it but we can! The song, some feel-good dreck called "Keep The Faith," was schmaltzy and the vocals were uninspired.

Danny Gokey. I don't know what to say. I thought his version of "P.Y.T" was just awful, almost painfully so. But not only did the judges have a collective orgasm after it, my aunt texted me in a flutter, too. I thought it was shouty, his voice was strangled and his jacket is horrible. I watched it second time, thinking I missed something, but I still hate it.

On the ballad "You Are Not Alone" Micheal Sarver really showed his fantastic, smooth voice. He always backs it up with passion and soul, this was a really lovely controlled performance.

Jasmine Murray's "I'll Be There" was really boring, and a little pitchy. She still hasn't given me anything to work with.

I don't know the song Kris Allen chose, "Remember The Time." It doesn't matter. He bounced around the mic stand, acoustic guitar in hand, and into my heart. He is strangely charismatic, he's not an out sized personality like Adam or Danny but he draws you in with his voice and his aw-shucks manners.

Allison Iraheta's version of "Give Into Me" was smoky and raw, just like always. She has this ridiculous amount of stage presence, like she's been fronting hair metal bands for years. The way she tears into the chorus is so effortless and cool, I love her.

Anoop Desai made the dumbest choice of the night, doing "Beat It" without any power in his vocals or swagger in his step. You can't do "Beat It" unless you're going to roar, and he didn't even mew.

I had high hopes for Jorge Nunez, I thought he could do a good job with "Never Can Say Goodbye." It was sweet and clean and really boring. I don't think he's in danger, but he needs to step up his game.

Megan Joy Corkrey is so very odd, and "Rockin' Robin" is an odd song. But they aren't odd in the same way, and I don't have words for what it sounded like. It wasn't unpleasant, but it wasn't good. I dunno, she needs to find a song that she can fit her weird voice into, cause that was not it.

Speaking of weird voices, Adam Lambert's wild vocals did fit into "Black And White" perfectly. His over-the-top vocal power and dynamic stage presence are astounding!

Matt Giraurd looked so cool sitting behind the piano for "Human Nature" and his vocals were as smooth as pulp-free OJ. He better keep this up!

Alexis Grace! Is! On! Fire! She is just a lil' firecracker, her "Dirty Diana" was a lesson in insanity. She looked like Ain't No Other Man-era Xtina, and sounded like her (sans the runs.) The judges may have thought she over sung it, but I think she brought enough attitude to cover a multitude of sins.

No comments: