Thursday, July 23, 2009

[Diva Week] I Can't Forget The Classic Divas!

For Diva Week, we've been focusing on the new wave of gay icons. But it's not really fair to push aside the old gaurd. Old school glamour and posh never dies, and if you took a glance around my apartment you'd find a large print of Audrey Hepburn's classic Breakfast At Tiffany's pose, peering into the window with her large shades and coffee cup. You'd find an reproduction of a oil painting of Madonna, used to cover the thermostat. You'd probably notice the collection of Marilyn Monroe photos, and a collage I made in high school of newspaper clippings from her death. A print of classic scenes from "I Love Lucy" hangs near that collection, and a vintage picture of Elizabeth Taylor sits on a shelf in my bedroom. I also have collected a large amount of vintage pictures and statues of the Virgin Mary, and I'm not even Catholic. (I don't know if that's a "gay and his diva" thing, or just really weird...) My CD collection contains discs by Judy Garland, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Cyndi Lauper and Whitney Houston. I have Julie Andrews soundtracks on LP. I could never ignore these classic divas.


I choose to focus on new gay icons because so much has already been written about these fabulous women that I wanted to shine a light on some fresh faces. But I would never forget these legends, these women who have inspired drag queens and gym bunnies alike. There is room in this world for more than one diva. Maybe next year, we'll go old school.

No comments: