Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The New Whitney Single Bores Me. Wait, Did I Just Say That Out Loud?

I was really excited when I heard Whitney Houston was finally releasing new material this fall, it's been a long while since we'd heard anything musical from the diva. I got even more excited when I heard David Foster, Diane Warren, Alicia Keys and Swizz Beats were to be involved (apparently the Ne-Yo collabo fell through.)

The first single just leaked, and it's the one Diane Warren wrote and David Foster produced. This conjures up the sleek midtempo love ballads of the mid-1990s, which could be amazing or really awful. I was hoping for a more "It's Not Right, But It's OK" kinda feel, but a "Greatest Love Of All" look wouldn't be awful. Y'know, unless it was...

"I Didn't Know My Own Strength" features very little of the vocal power of early Whitney and none of the attitude and sass of latter day Whitney. I was hoping for so much more, but it may grow on me a little. Worst of all, there is no way pop radio is playing something this boring. C'mon, Whit! Give us a comeback! Listen:


No comments: