Friday, July 10, 2009

Jordin Sparks' New Song Is Gayer Than Elton John. I Loves It, Natch.

Seriously, Jordin Sparks just released pretty much the gayest song of her career. As if swiping a title used by Rihanna, The Jonas Brothers and ABBA wasn't queer friendly enough, she samples the Shannon classic "Let The Music Play" and creates the kind of club single girlfriend needs to get the gay boys behind her. Because being a full figured American Idol winner with pipes for days wasn't enough? I mean seriously, she's one rehab stint away from Gay Icon status as is. She just needed to release "SOS" earlier in Pride season and she'd be the new Diva du Jour.

"SOS" is fire-hot and hopefully will become the hit that "Battlefield" never became. She doesn't get to use her vocal prowess as much, but it's such a fabulous dance song I don't really care. I can't stop playing to it! Listen:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I love Jordin and I love "Let the Music Play" but I have one problem with this song and you may know what it is by knowing me...

The original chorus wasn't changed at all! It's like why build a whole song around an imported chorus! It doesn't feel the least bit lazy to anyone?

Like for Rihanna's "SOS" or "Please Don't Stop the Music", they borrowed heavily from other songs but at least added their own words. I feel like I would have preferred it if Jordin just did a cover of "Let the Music Play." Am I kvelling over nothing?

C. Paul Keller said...

Junior, I totally feel you on this one. Lazy songwriting, for reals. I wanted to dislike it on principle, but then I fell in love.

Anonymous said...

Paul, I love it too don't get me wrong, she sounds great...

But I would have loved it just as much and even more if it was a cover of the whole song... And then if Jordin did a video with the Shannon shoulder pads (please tell me you remember the video!?) I would die!

C. Paul Keller said...

I'm afraid I don't know the video! And I can't find it on the YouTubes. I feel like I've missed out on something important...

Anonymous said...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15qbj_shannon-let-the-music-play_music

This is not the version I remember (I remember there being a guy dressed in a rubber suit and Shannon with a giant black blazer but that miiiiight have been another video) but it's great anyway... Thank me later...

C. Paul Keller said...

I just noticed you found the video for me! You're the bestest! It's soooooooo 80s, I love it!