Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Kelly Clarkson Video I Almost Missed...

Sorry Girls 'n' Gays! I've been out of commission all weekend, between work, Pridefest, (EPIC!) taking a trip to the kinfolk up north and trying to squeeze in a little time with the boyfriend, I barely had a chance to breath since Wednesday.

I finally get a little moment to hit the interwebs and ZOMG! New Kelly Clarkson video! Junior had to draw it to my attention, this is the second time he's had to keep my head on straight gay.

I've known forever that "Already Gone" was the next single from my once and future beard, the lovely and diva-licious Kelly Clarkson. I even wrote a video treatment concept a few months ago. But I beginning to think it was getting the "Sober" treatment and no video would ever surface. So when I saw the gorgeous stills from it a couple weeks ago, I started getting excited. It looked glamorous, it looked sexy.

The video is all those things, but it's also not very Kelly. She lounges on a couch wearing pearls, she wanders the halls of a swanky penthouse apartment, she's surrounded by a CGI orchestra. Don't get me wrong, Kelly looks stunning. But since when did she wear chandelier earrings and black floor length cocktail dresses? I'm all for changing up one's look, but this doesn't feel natural. When she runs her hand down the champagne colored dress, they look small and childlike. She doesn't look comfortable in any of the shots, she looks like a little girl forced to pose for a pageant. She did the old-school Hollywood glamour thing so much better in the Reba duet version of "Because Of You" - she needed something fresh.

WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO WITH THE KELLY I LURVE (and the missing minute or so of song run time?) Seriously, I am not happy with this video. Kelly is such a dynamo on stage and in the appropriate videos, I wish someone would give her a concept worthy of her talent. Watch:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the official P&C Kelly Clarkson commentator, I have to say I'm surprised by your take but I do think I agree with it. It's not really Kelly, but then again, I fear Kelly hasn't done enough to select an appropriate image and may suffer from the Christina Aguilera syndrome.

But I am happy that she looks great and the video is shot beautifully although it makes no sense (is she a ghost? who is she singing to? Clive Davis?) as Kelly videos have been doing lately. Hopefully, they'll give her money for 1 more video (I would bet on "If I Can't Have You") and she can maybe look like she's connected to the material.

Poor thing.

p.s. before my own EPIC week, I was gonna do a thing about Ryan Tedder and the contro over "Halo" & "Gone" but I figure your take may be more interesting... Would you like me to stop playing drive-thru blog reader ordering up the posts I want. LOL. I'm sorry!

C. Paul Keller said...

I'm so glad you agree with me! And I'm on the fence about what to say about Halo/Gone controversy. When I get a few minutes to breathe (my week is stil running me ragged) I'll collect my thoughts and post. You know I can't resist any excuse to talk Kelly!