Friday, July 24, 2009

[Diva Week] My Diva: Alice

And so it ends! Diva Week comes to a close with the diva, the girl whose path I have followed since I was a child. Before I started reading My Diva, I had a million divas in mind. My friends thought Madonna was my ultimate diva, I figured Kelly Clarkson was the diva I loved most.

But reading so many men who found a connection early on, I knew it wasn't Kelly. Don't get me wrong, I love Kelly. But when I though back to the diva who inspired me from childhood, it came to me.

I can't remember the first time I read Alice's Adventures In Wonderland or the sequel, Through The Looking Glass. I'm sure I saw the Disney cartoon very early on, with it's garish technicolored hues and catchy songs. But the book came into my life as child in an abridged from, one of those inexpensive children's hardbacks they used to sell at Walmart. As I grew up, I read the actual Carroll book many times and purchased an Annotated copy when I was teenager. I still read it once a year or so.

Alice inspires me. I know, a grown man of almost 26 being inspired by a small Victorian-era dreamchild is ridiculous. From the moment she sees that White Rabbit go running by, she follows it. She isn't fearful, she isn't stopped by the question of what practical good it is to chase a rabbit into it's hole. Even when her scenario turns frightening, she pushes on. Her curiosity and tenacity never waver, she still possesses that childlike idea that if something is interesting one should pursue it.

A lot of strange and wonderful things happen to Alice in her adventures. She changes sizes, because she keeps putting on gloves and eating things she shouldn't. It should be a warning to her, but she doesn't want to stop experiencing things. That is one way Alice has inspired me. I often want to stop putting my hand in the fire, to give up on dating or writing. But I know that I will never experience life unless I risk it again.

I know there is much to said for contentment. But I don't want to be content with mediocrity. And neither does Alice, she pushes for that garden she spies through the key hole. She doesn't accept just sitting and having tea with a March Hare and a Mad Hatter. She has a goal, a dream. And she pursues it.

I wish I could be like that all the time. In my best moments, the ones that have resulted in the biggest joys, and sometimes pains, I am like that. Long before I started this blog, I had already chosen a name and the quote that sits atop the page. It's a quote from the very beginning of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. There isn't really any special meaning to the quote, just something I liked and though fit the mood.

In fact, my favorite quote is kind of Alice-inspired. From Gwen Stefani's Wonderland-esque video "What You Waitin' For?" comes this gem that gives me the push to follow that White Rabbit down the hole into a new place I never dreamed of: "Take a chance, you stupid ho."



In a way, Alice has always been reminding me of both the joys and pitfalls of being a Diva. You carve your own path, you follow your own dream and know that through patience, determination and hard work you will get what you want. And be fabulous doing it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting Paul and definitely not what I was expecting! I know this may seem sacrilegious but I have actually never read "Alice"... But you have to understand that I've never seen "The Wizard of Oz" either.

But now I may have to get more familiar because this bitty sounds like a surefire diva! Loved the whole week too, btw!

C. Paul Keller said...

I know, Alice is a totally different kind of girl than Chelsea or Kelly. But when I thought about women who've inspired me all through my life, it was Alice.

Anonymous said...

Not to topic hijack but I NEED YOUR TAKE ON THE NEW KELLY VIDEO!

Like I needed it yesterday! I'm 'bout to put a letter in your file because you're all havin' fun (don't think I didn't see that Tweet) and not dissecting Kelly! PAUL!

C. Paul Keller said...

See, this is why I need Junior in my life! You keep me on track when I'm too busy sipping margaritas to pay attention the important things in life.

In all seriousness, I was home but one hour all weekend and missed the boat on this. I'm glad you pointed it out, it could have been days until I found out!